- Overall responsibility for the London 2020 Campaign, including the development of the campaign strategy and delivery plan and setting of clear goals and targets for GLA candidates, campaign volunteers and others involved in the campaign.
- Day-to-day management of two core staff members, the Chief of Staff and Head of Communications (all of whom will work very closely with the Mayoral candidate) to ensure that targets are being met, actions are being progressed and that any concerns or difficulties are identified and dealt with early.
- Working with the Heads of Communications to deliver an effective press and PR campaign using a full range of traditional and digital channels and recognising the need for targeted and segmented communications based on different audiences across London.
- Working with the Chief of Staff to develop and deliver an effective fundraising strategy - this will build on activity that has already begun with an aspiration to raise £1 million for the campaign.
- Working with the core staff members, establish and monitor a volunteer structure across areas such as digital and social media support, fundraising activities, events and visits, media opportunities, canvassing and leaflet delivery and so on. This should include appointing lead volunteers to each area, ensuring excellent communication channels and agreeing performance targets and a regular reporting structure.
- Working with the Chief of Staff to mobilise a wide range of grass root supporters from inside and outside the party and to agree methods to track and analyze local campaign activity.
- Working with the campaign Agent and London region Treasurer on financial management of the campaign, ensuring that we stay within budget and adhere to regulatory rules
- Act as the mayoral candidates’ representative where necessary, including with senior members of the Party as well as external organisations, senior press contacts and members of the public.
We are looking for an experienced, reliable performer who can play the leading role in the success of our 2020 London campaign. We want someone who is excited by this campaign and who is prepared to take some calculated risks and do things a bit differently.
The heart of this role is working closely with the Mayoral candidate, GLA candidates and with staff and volunteers to develop and manage our London 2020 campaign. You will be a confident person, with strong leadership and communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships.
You will be highly organised and able to work without supervision in a challenging environment. You must be able to maintain a good temperament even under pressure and be able to motivate others, many of who will be volunteers but should not be daunted by the need to ask people to get things done.
You should be confident in working with senior members of political organisations and press outlets, should be prepared and able to deal with intense periods of activity that may require flexibility in terms of working arrangements and strategic thought/direction.
You’ll be familiar with the latest online and offline campaign techniques. Ideally you will have been part of multiple successful election campaigns and will have a strong understanding of what it takes to win.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Strategic planning skills, including an understanding of communications and political elements
- Experience of delivering a complex project on time where this has involved managing different strands of activity and people
- Superb interpersonal skills, with experience of forging strong relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Managing, coordinating and motivating staff members, including volunteers
- Ability to prioritise workload, to work to strict deadlines and to manage periods of pressure
- Ability to work with precision, accuracy, and attention to detail
- Creative outside the box thinker who is open to new ideas
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambitious work environment
- Understanding of effective media engagement, in particular in a London, political context
- Experience of digital campaigns that mobilize people online and offline, and make change in the world.
- Experience of developing and managing budgets