Purpose of job
Managing all communications and marketing aspects of the London 2020 campaign with the primary objective of significantly raising the profile of the Lib Dem mayoral and GLA candidates amongst London voters.
- To manage the news and media aspects of the campaign, including working with the candidate to develop effective relationships with key journalists and news outlets across London.
- To oversee a team of staff/volunteers who have expertise in press/PR/communications and who want to support the campaign.
- Over time, to help develop the core messaging and narrative for the London 2020 campaign, working closely with colleagues who are developing the policy priorities and mayoral manifesto.
- To identify stakeholders and organisations who could provide good media and communications opportunities for the candidate.
- To manage the production of content for digital channels (website, Facebook, Twitter etc.), including working with a team of volunteers who have expertise on digital issues.
- To draft and disseminate campaign press releases, working closely with colleagues on policy matters.
- Provide speech writing support to the mayoral candidate
- To work with the campaign’s Chief of Staff on internal communications to Lib Dem members about the campaign, e.g. fundraising emails etc.
We are looking for a strong, reliable performer who can play a central role in the success of our 2020 London campaign.
The heart of this role is working closely with the mayoral candidate, GLA candidates and with staff and volunteers to develop and manage an effective communications strategy for the London 2020 campaign.
You’ll be a confident person, with strong leadership and communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships. You’ll be familiar with the latest online and offline campaign techniques.
Ideally you will have been part of multiple successful election campaigns and will have a strong understanding of what it takes to win.
You will be able to demonstrate a record of delivery in the area of communications, press and marketing, with an instinctive sense of what makes an effective news story and impactful message. You will have sound political judgement, an in-depth understanding of journalists and voters, and will know what it takes for candidates to cross the winning line.
You will be well organised and able to work without supervision in a challenging environment. A good temperament that allows you to react quickly and deal with the unexpected is a must. You will need strong leadership and communications skills, and must also show a willingness to innovate, experiment, and take some risks.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Experience of working with London-based journalists
- Understanding of the challenges facing the capital and how those will shape the London 2020 campaign
- Experience of using a wide range of digital and traditional communications channels
- Ability to craft a strong political message and to identify and maximise newsworthy opportunities
- Excellent drafting skills, and experience in writing press releases and political speeches
- Experience working with volunteers and the ability to inspire and manage a team of people with different skills, backgrounds and levels of availability
- A clear understanding of how to engage with members and voters
- Confidence with data, CRM, graphic design and digital campaign tools
- Sympathy with the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Management experience
- Fundraising experience
- Experience of using Nationbuilder, Lib Dem Connect and Page Plus