Purpose of job
Provide support to the London Mayoral Candidate in all aspects of the 2020 campaign but with a particular focus on: general diary management, speaking engagements and other events, building campaigning capacity across London, including developing relationships with key party activists and local party members, maintaining effective relationships with the London Executive Team and GLA list candidates and overseeing fundraising activities.
- To manage all candidate’s diary issues, including prioritisation of speaking requests, visits and other invitations,
- Working with colleagues from HQ, to develop and manage a fundraising strategy for the 2020 campaign
- To oversee a programme of profile-raising activities within the London party, developing relationships with key activitsts, donors and local party leaders.
- To assist in developing profile-raising and knowledge gathering activities outside the party, arranging visits and meetings with interested bodies and organisations
- To build and manage a group of active volunteers and candidate aides, identifying people who have particular skills and experiences, which can be used to good effect in the campaign.
- Working with the Head of Communications and other colleagues, to oversee operational aspects of policy campaigns, media events and other candidate engagements
- To be the first port of call between the candidate, Caroline Pidgeon’s office, other GLA list members and members of the London Regional Executive Team.
- Oversee the establishment and operation of the campaign policy development strand, including pulling together policy experts, policy working groups and a timeline for the production of the 2020 manifesto.
We are looking for a strong performer who can provide high level support to the London Mayoral candidate and oversight of core aspects of the 2020 campaign.
The heart of this role is working closely with local staff and volunteers to support the development of local campaigning in key areas through our seat support programme.
You’ll be a confident person, with strong leadership and communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships. You’ll be a person at ease with the latest online and offline campaign techniques.
Ideally you will have been part of multiple successful election campaigns and will have a strong understanding of what it takes to win.
You will be able to demonstrate a record of election, fundraising and capacity-building success, with an instinctive sense of what makes an effective political message. You will have sound political judgement, an in-depth understanding voters, and will know what it takes for candidates to cross the winning line.
You will be well organised and able to work without supervision in a challenging environment. A good temperament that allows you to deal with the unexpected is a must. You will need strong leadership and communications skills, and must also show a willingness to innovate, experiment, and share best practice.
This role will suit someone who enjoys variety in their work and working with teams with differing needs and levels of development.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Experience of running effective campaigns
- Effective personal relationships across local London parties, an understanding of how the Regional party operates and experience of getting thing done at the London region level.
- Experience of fundraising, including working with experts in this area to develop a successful fundraising strategy.
- Highly organised, able to prioritise and abitly to react swiftly and flexibly to changing events.
- Experience working with volunteers and the ability to inspire and manage a team of people with different skills and backgrounds.
- A clear understanding of how to engage with members and voters
- Confidence with data, CRM, graphic design and digital campaign tools
- Sympathy with the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience of management
- Experience of fundraising
- Experience of using Nationbuilder, Lib Dem Connect and Page Plus
- Familiarity with electoral law, and in particularly the requirements of PPERA